It's important to have your braces adjusted regularly to get the most out of your orthodontic treatment. Here, our Langley City orthodontists share what you can expect when you come in for your braces adjustments.
Braces gradually shift your teeth incrementally into their new corrected positions. In order for this to happen your orthodontist has to adjust your braces very slightly in fairly frequent intervals.
Below we have listed what you can expect when you visit Fraser Valley Orthodontics for your adjustments:
- First, the orthodontic assistant will remove the elastics that hold your brackets to the archwire.
- Then we will remove the archwire.
- After the archwire has been removed the orthodontist will examine your teeth to determine how your treatment is progressing.
- This is when we are able to replace any parts of your braces that might be broken.
- Next, your archwire and new elastics can be placed. (If it's your first time this step can cause some discomfort, but it will be less painful next time).
- Tell the orthodontist immediately if your archwire is poking you in the mouth. The orthodontist or the assistant will be able to shorten it with clippers to prevent any irritation.
- That's it! All that you have to do now is schedule your next adjustment appointment.
It's not unusual to feel a bit sore after your adjustment appointment. The discomfort you feel should wear off in a few days. To help ease your discomfort you can take an over-the-counter painkiller, or try gently holding an icepack to your face periodically. Continue eating soft foods until you're feeling a little less sore.